Friday 23 January 2009

k!1-and-a-half (a prelude to k!2)


Whilst gathering material for k!2 I thought I'd wet your appetites with news of what you have to look forward to, the highlight of which will, if all goes to plan, be an interview with Matt Bish of Kinna-Uganda and Battle of the Souls fame. Matt has kindly agreed to humour my curiosity about the Ugandan film scene and his role in it as a director, my research has provided me with some really interesting questions for him, I hope you will come back to read his response to them in k!2.

In the meantime, and to inspire all you budding artists and writers out there, check out some of the links in the sidebar and if you've a few minutes take a look at this video interview with Welsh artist Mary Lloyd Jones, who explains something of the relationship in her paintings between language and landscape. I will be visiting Mary's exhibition early next week. In it's simplest and most basic form we all share a common 'first language', one made up of wordless sounds, nameless shapes, and, as Mary says, 'making marks on the world' by our deliberate physical contact with it. Do you know of any artists, poets, or musicians who have also explored the themes of language, culture, and the physical landscape? What inspires your work?

Please do contact me if you would like to contribute in any way to kushinda! E-mail me at googlemail.com, user name ceris62, or leave a comment, I look forward to hearing from you!

1 comment:

  1. Kushinda means (1) to win; to succeed; to prevail, overcome; (2) better; more; as in Ceris ni mnoma kuliko Richard (Ceris is better than Richard or she is more gifted than he :), (3) spend (time), as in kushinda siku nzima (spend a whole day)...laters. cheers!

    R!

    ReplyDelete

blog toplist

vote

Followers

Contributors